IM TRYING TO CREATE A GIF SET BUT I CXANT STOP LAUGHING
someone please reverse this gif
here you go
i am reminded that english is a flawed language every time I am forced to use “that that” in a sentence
Screencap meme »» Star Wars (original trilogy) + Space
Nineteen-year-old Tarikuwa Lemma is a survivor, of an international adoption scandal. When she was 13, she was effectively sold from her native Ethiopia to an American family. The corrupt “adoption agency” convinced her father, who was a widow, that Tarikuwa and her younger sisters were headed to the U.S. as part of an educational exchange program, and that they would return home every summer and on holiday breaks. Little did he know, his daughters had been placed with adoptive couples in the U.S., never to return. Tarikuwa’s name was changed against her will, and she was forbidden by her American “family” from speaking her native language. The issue of transnational adoption, its evangelical Christian component, and the exploitation of communities that sometimes results, is the subject of the book, The Child Catchers: Rescue, Trafficking and the New Gospel of Adoption by Kathryn Joyce, who appeared, along with Tarikuwa, on last Sunday’s “Melissa Harris Perry” show on MSNBC. Below is Tarikuwa’s satirical look at the “rescue” of children from her home country, to “better lives” in America.
Stop ‘Rescuing’ African Children Through Corrupt Adoptions
Tarikuwa Lemma appearing on Melissa Harris Perry Show April 28, 2013.
From The Grio — Nineteen-year…
Doesn’t seem to matter the background of the child, the methods of colonialism and assimilation haven’t changed.
- liking a piece of media does not automatically mean you think it is perfect or agree with its creators
- even if you are not openly critical of it
- because you don’t HAVE to be openly critical of it
- there is an enormous difference between being an apologist for something and wanting to dwell on the good parts of a thing you like because it makes you happy, please stop conflating these two things
- not talking about the flaws of a thing does not mean you do not recognize the flaws of a thing
- nobody has to apologize for liking what they like and nobody should be shamed for liking a thing
- your fave is problematic too
- you are not a better person than someone just because your favorite piece of media is less problematic than theirs
- you aren’t
LOOK WHAT I MADE
I bought a pair of old jeans for, idk, 5 bucks maybe, and cut them into a pair of shorts. I put some studs on the pocket, and some awesome as hell marvel fabric, and bam there I have a pair of marvelous shorts.
Maybe I actually want to wear shorts this year…
this is the best idea.
there is power in king’s blood